"What you gonna do when you get out of jail?/I'm gonna have some fun/What do you consider fun?/Fun, natural fun"
Even if you don't think you know the Tom Tom Club, you know the Tom Tom Club. Their single "Genius of Love" is one of the most sampled songs in history. Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth formed the band in 1981 as a side project of their other project, Talking Heads. They've recently released a live version of "Genius of Love," aptly named Genius of Live, and are supporting the release with a rare tour. The Casbah is one of the smallest venues they're playing, so it will certainly be an intimate show that will be talked about for a long time to come.
Tuesday, Oct. 12:
- Tom Tom Club, Rafter, DJ Atari & Junior the Discopunk @ Casbah -- check out T. Loper's preview of the show
- Hoodoo Gurus, the Heartaches @ Belly Up
- 90 Proof Pissers @ Eleven
- Nikki Yanofsky @ Anthology
- Local Brews Local Grooves: Brad Perry, Headshine, DeBlois Milledge Band, Zimbeat & Soup @ House of Blues
- Too Cool for Karaoke @ Ruby Room
- Brawley @ Riviera Supper Club
- Band Showcase Competition @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- The Legendary Shack Shakers, Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies, the Screamin Yeehaws @ Soda Bar
- The Stilettos @ Henry's Pub
- Delta Heat @ Patrick's ll
- Tomcat Courtney @ La Gran Tapa
- Jaimie Muehlhausen @ Hennessey's Vista
- Doug Allen, Suzy Bongo @ The Kraken
- Floater, Reckless in Vegas @ Winston's
- 2 Guys Will Move You @ McP's Irish Pub
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.