Dark Dark Dark
Dark Dark Dark
In my favorite book, Life After God, Douglas Coupland's protagonist is recounting his high school circle of friends 20 years past graduation. "The radio would be turned on, full of love songs and rock music; we believed the rock music but I don’t think we believed in the love songs, either then, or now."
I think about this line a lot as I enjoy music -- the clichéd love songs are sometimes too hard to believe. On the converse, the breakup albums tend to hit close to home. Who hasn't had that longing: the hope that things turn around but the melancholy that comes when a seemingly good thing comes to an end?
Dark Dark Dark -- if the Minneapolis band's name wasn't enough of an indication -- are masters of this feeling. It's expressed lyrically, but even more so in the tone of their music and in Nona Marie Invie's voice. At first listen, you might think of a younger Aimee Mann but the band has carved out its own unique sound. Tuesday's performance is presented by Sezio at the very unique and intimate Luce Loft in East Village with Emily Wells opening the show.
Tuesday, Nov. 6 (San Diego Beer Week):
- Sezio presents Dark Dark Dark, Emily Wells @ Luce Loft
- Durango presents Delta Spirit, the Growlers @ House of Blues
- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots @ La Jolla Playhouse (OPENING NIGHT)
- Larry and His Flask, Willy Tea Taylor, Nick Bone & the Big Scene @ Soda Bar
- The Gore Horsemen, Behind the Wagon, Future You @ Casbah
- The Junk Poets, Pink Fuzzy Animals, Scott Mathiasen, the Shifty Eyed Dogs @ Eleven
- Children of Nova, Rare Monk, Holy Hounds @ Tin Can
- Club Victory, Social Club (DJ set) @ The Griffin
- Twang Gang presents Crash & the Burns, Stephen Rey & the Sex Trash @ El Dorado
- SD Pyrate Punx present the Insurgence, Slow Children, Among the Enemy, Normandie @ Ruby Room
- Samples @ Analog Bar
- Tiki Tuesday featuring Adrian Demain's Exoticatronica @ Bar Pink
- Supertasty @ Riviera Supper Club
- Luscious Noise @ Anthology
- Steph Johnson @ Croce's
- Listen Local SD presents Local Brews, Local Grooves featuring Meagan Flint, Cleopatra Degher, Talk Like June, Love Mason @ House of Blues Voodoo Lounge
- Open Mic @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
- Train of Thought @ Queen Bee's
- Comedy Night @ Lestat's
- Community Revolution in Progress @ The Office
- Tomcat Courtney @ La Gran Tapa
- Buzz Campbell & Hot Rod Lincoln @ Henry's Pub
- Doug Allen @ The Kraken
- Friends Chill @ Whistle Stop
- Sweet Dreams @ Tiki House
- Karaoke @ Kensington Club
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.