There are a few shows of note this Tuesday. Kicking off the rundown, the rap and rock group Flobots from Colorado is performing at the Casbah. Though the band has been around since 2000, they are best known for their single "Handlebars" from a few years ago. Generally I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I really dig when hip-hop is mixed with a full live band, so I'm sure this will be an interesting change for the Casbah.
Go HERE to Download the SoundDiego iPhone App
Up at the Belly Up, the Presidents of the United States of America return. The band has local ties with Andrew McKeag of local legends Uncle Joe's Big Ol' Driver so this should be a nice reunion for San Diego musicians as well as fans who just love the Presidents.
Lastly, the Griffin has a special show featuring JJAMZ. A sort of indie rock supergroup, the band has members from Maroon 5, Bright Eyes, the Like and Phantom Planet. This will be their first time in San Diego. Lots of cool stuff happening this Tuesday night to broaden your musical horizons.
Tuesday, May 21:
- Flobots, Wheelchair Sports Camp, Long Live Logos @ Casbah
- The Presidents of the United States of America, Eternal Summers @ Belly Up
- Space Camp presents JJAMZ, Hills Like Eliphants, Inspired & the Sleep @ The Griffin
- Seeking Alpha, the Lazulis, Allophone @ Soda Bar
- Podunk Nowhere, Genna & Jesse, Carlz Barkley @ Tin Can
- San Pedro El Cortez, Pool Honeys. Unknown Relatives, the Frights @ The Void
- Usnea, Age of Colapse, Old Man Wizard @ Tower Bar
- Local Brews Local Grooves featuring Jessica Hull Band, Jeff Diamond/Joe Piro, Open For Business, Torrey Mercer, Cast No Shadows @ House of Blues Voodoo Stage
- The Main Squeeze, Jelly Bread @ Winston's
- 52nd Street (Billy Joel Tribute) @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Steph Johnson @ Croce's
- Age of Collapse, Usnea, Pagan Funeral @ Ruby Room
- Tiki Tuesday with the Secret Samurai @ Bar Pink
- Train of Thought @ Queen Bee's
- Comedy Night @ Lestat's
- Tomcat Courtney @ La Gran Tapa
- Doug Allen @ The Kraken
- Drew Butcher @ Tiki House
- 710 Bass Club @ 710 Beach Club
- Karaoke @ Kensington Club
- Friends Chill @ Whistle Stop
- Walter's Chicken Jam @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.