A pilot for a web-based science fiction series called "Mars Kane" is filming in Connecticut.
Last week I was encouraging you to head to the Casbah to check out Bosnian Rainbows, the new project of the Mars Volta's Omar Rodriguez Lopez. The show was incredible, and the sold-out crowd wanted more when it was all over. This week, former frontman of the Mars Votal, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, comes to show that he's not to be forgotten, either. His new project, Zavalaz, also with a debut album, drops by the Casbah this week, and we can only imagine that Sunday is going to be pretty legendary, too. Then again, if all you wanna do is dance, Paper Route returns to San Diego with a show at Bar Pink, so that should be pretty cool, too. The best news is that your weekend isn't over just yet, so enjoy all that your scene has to offer.
Sunday, June 30:
- Zavalaz, Dot Hacker @ The Casbah
- Giraffage, Mister Lies, DWNTWN, Kill Quanti DJs @ Soda Bar
- Julion Alvarez @ San Diego County Fair Grandstand Stage
- Madame Ur y Sus Hombres @ San Diego County Fair Rock On Stage
- Local Bands, Local Brews & Starlit Acoustic Showdown @ 710 Beach Club
- Apparitions, Mouth of the Serpant, No Name Gang, Ruins ov Abaddon @ Brick By Brick
- Paper Route, Halfnoise @ Bar Pink
- Frankmusik, Ride the Universe, We Are Sirens @ The Griffin
- The PettyBreakers @ Belly Up
- William Bonney, Keyes, Flowers Taped to Pens, Nayru @ The Che Cafe
- Keltik Kharma CD release, featuring Chris Vitas, Jeff Pekarek, Peter Sprague, Duncan Moore and Lori Bell @ Dizzy's
- The Hips @ Gallagher's
- Kirk Franklin presents Gospel Brunch (11 a.m.) @ House of Blues
- John Bowe (10 a.m.), Mimi Zulu (7 p.m.) @ Humphreys Backstage
- The Robin Henkel Band @ Lestat's
- Gateway Hugs, Hellcat Death Jazz Band, Sterile Jets, Amigo @ The Tower Bar
- Monochromacy (record release), Generik, No Know & Primitive Beats @ The Void
- New Relics and Born Cross-Eyed (5 p.m.), Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winstons
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.