Vertical Horizon will appear with a host of other '90s bands at Humphreys Concerts By the Bay.
I was in high school in the 1990s. It doesn't seem so long ago to me, except when I think about the leaps and advancements we've made in technology. Music on demand or music blogs were a lifetime away; Napster and LimeWire didn't come along until the end of the decade. So I don't think I'm being too nostalgic when I broadly say that radio was still all we had, and on those radio stations, it wasn't uncommon to hear a playlist jam-packed with Sugar Ray and Smash Mouth. "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms fit multiple formats, "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon was everywhere, and everyone knew "The Way" by Fastball. On Sunday, you can relive some of those memories as the Under the Sun tour pulls into Humphreys Concerts By the Bay. Nineties nostalgia at it's finest.
Sunday, July 7:
- Under the Sun tour, featuring Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, Gin Blossoms, Vertical Horizon, Fastball @ Humphreys Concerts By the Bay
- Local Bands, Local Brews & Starlit Acoustic Showdown! @ 710 Beach Club
- Happy Endings, featuring DJ Joemama & Friends @ Bar Pink
- Leather Nun, Cash Crop, Slow Mover (BBQ matinee show @ 5 p.m.) @ The Void
- House Show: The Shivers, Gender Infiniti, Wade Rhyff (Races) @ 2645 A Streeet,San Diego
- Earl Thomas & Friends Raise the Roof Concert for the Blues Hall of Fame featuring: Earl Thomas & the Blues Ambassadors, Joey Harris, Sarah Petite, Gregory Page, Rockola, Eve Selis, Lisa Sanders, Cathryn Beeks, Bart Mendoza & True Lies, Mark DeCerbo & Four Eyes, Jeff Berkley, Billy Watson, Berkley Hart, Steph Johnson, Syreeta, Princess (from Rebel Rockers) @ Belly Up
- Last Night on Earth: Farewell Transmission @ New School of Architecture and Design
- Jazz Avenue @ Brick By Brick
- Gilbert Castellanos presents Night of the Cookers Vol. III, featuring Brian Lynch, Gilbert Castellanos, Mikan Zlatkovich, Katie Thiroux, Dan Schnelle @ Dizzy’s
- Plane Without a Pilot @ Gallagher’s
- Rx Bandits, Northern Faces (7:30 p.m.) @ House of Blues
- Kirk Franklin presents Gospel Brunch (11 a.m.) @ House of Blues
- Robin Henkel (10 a.m.), BetaMaxx (7 p.m.) @ Humphrey’s Backstage
- Athenaeum Summer Festival 2013, with pianist Gustavo Romero @ Athenaeum
- Blue Suns, We Killed Vegas @ Lestat’s
- Cultural Sundaze: Piracy Conspiracy, TRC Soundsystem @ The Griffin
- Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winston’s
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.