Pete Murphy performing with Bauhaus in London in 2006.
Despite some legal run-ins earlier this year, San Diegans are very excited for the return of Peter Murphy. Celebrating 35 years of Bauhaus, the singer is certain to delight the sold-out crowd at the Belly Up on Sunday. He's one of those performers you just have to see, and over the years he's performed all over San Diego, including intimate shows at the Casbah or bigger shows at now-defunct 4th & B. He's known for giving the crowd what it wants, with long sets and crowd favorites, but at this show, it will be all Bauhaus material, meaning you better bust out your black eyeliner (or guyliner) and be ready to soak in the material that was so prevalent in the '80s. If you don't have a ticket, check out SoundDiego's buddies Gone Baby Gone at the Casbah or see Speedy Ortiz at Soda Bar. Both will be great options to close out the weekend.
Sunday, July 28:
- The Casbah presents Peter Murphy Celebrates 35 Years of Bauhaus (performing solely Bauhaus material) @ Belly Up (sold out)
- Gone Baby Gone, the Phantoms, the Routine @ The Casbah
- Speedy Ortiz, Supermodel Razorblades, Tworooms @ Soda Bar
- Take 2, with Herb Ohta Jr. & Jon Yamasoto @ AMSD
- Local Bands/Local Brews & Starlit Acoustic Showdown! @ 710 Beach Club
- Happy Endings, featuring DJ Joemama & Friends @ Bar Pink
- The Levy, Sprague, Zlatkovich Trio @ Dizzy's
- The Hips @ Gallagher's
- Listen Local SD presents the Kids Show, featuring Emma Greenberg, Gigi Parra, Shyla Day, Half Moon Portrait, Sahara Grim @ House of Blues
- 91X presents Rancid, Transplants, the Interrupters @ House of Blues (sold out)
- Stellita (10 a.m.), Caliber (7 p.m.) @ Humphreys Backstage
- The Robin Henkel Band @ Lestat's
- Casey Veggies, Travis Scott, Kyle DiPiero, Cali Cam @ Soma
- Cultural Sundaze: Los Rumberos, TRC Soundsystem @ The Griffin
- Stained Glass Windows (5 p.m.), Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke (10 p.m.) @ Winston's
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.