Can we do things a little bit differently this time? It seems to me there is this curse on San Diego bands. Any band that gets a modicum of support or popularity nationally seems to get shunned locally, so much so that you can pretty much think of any local act signed in recent years and lament their departure to a different city. So let's do things differently this time around, OK? The Gloomies are signed to Thrill Me Records, and they're awesome [read SoundDiego's interview with frontman Andy Craig here], and they're kicking off the New Year with a Monday night residency at Soda Bar. That means they'll be there for the next four Mondays with various support. And before you try to make any excuses, the shows are free. So basically you're committing a couple hours of your Monday to support amazing local music. Sounds like a resolution we should all be able to keep.
Monday, Jan. 4:
- The Gloomies, Ditches, the Whiskey Circle, DJ Rachel Frank (ListenSD) @ Soda Bar
- Motown on Monday @ Bar Pink
- Metal Mondays @ Brick by Brick
- Mercedes Moore @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Mic Check Mondays @ Gallagher's
- Velvet Cafe @ Alexander's (30th & Upas)
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- Industry Night @ U-31
- Industry and local night presented by Mark Rondeau @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.