The past couple of Mondays have been devoted to the residencies of Family Wagon at the Casbah and Barbarian at Soda Bar. As a witness to one of each, I can tell you that, if you haven't been, you're missing out. Both venues have been full enough to enjoy the vibes but not sold-out so you're not stuffed in like sardines, so seize the opportunities left to you.
However this week I'll deviate a little bit because, if you listen to alternative radio in San Diego, all you've been hearing about is the return of Muse. The band has conquered the rock world with its soaring vocals and epic guitar solos, and this is certainly going to be a big arena rock show which, in this modern age of music, just doesn't come along very often.
I would suggest, however, that if you already have tickets to the concert to make sure you arrive early so you can catch openers Band of Skulls. They're one of those bands that I've always thought is on the verge of mass appeal (like playing Coachella last year), but also cool enough to still play on a small scale (like at the Griffin last year). Do yourself a favor and don't miss the rock trio shining on the big stage.
Monday, Jan. 21:
- Muse, Band of Skulls @ Valley View Casino Center
- Barbarian, the Abigails, Idyll Wild, Golden Beaches @ Soda Bar
- Schitzophonics, Family Wagon, Rusty Maples, Jupiter @ Casbah
- Ryan Cabrera, Teddy Geiger, Tyler Hilton @ Lestat's
- The Tin Can Country Club featuring Daniel Crawford @ Tin Can
- FM 94.9 Holiday Hootenanny/Muse Afterparty with Beware of Darkness, Hit Dog Hollar, DJ Keith Sweaty @ The Griffin (invite only)
- Monday Night Mass with the Husky Boy All-Stars @ Bar Pink
- Dirty Mondays with DJ Gabe Vega @ The Saloon (Encinitas)
- Fabulous Ultratones @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Dave Scott & Monsoon Jazz @ Croce's
- Pyrate Punx @ Tower Bar
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Karaoke @ Til-Two Club
- Karaoke @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- Battle of the Bands @ 710 Beach Club
- Doug Allen @ The Kraken
- Deejha & Walter @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub