When the Muslims moved to L.A. and changed their name to the Soft Pack, music bloggers and indie press praised the band as the Second Coming, while San Diego scenesters who knew the boys from basement parties took it personally. "L.A.? You can change your name, but we knew you when ..." was a prevailing attitude. Well, the boys are back and just as sweet and down-to-earth as ever, and have proved that they will always be San Diegans by playing at one of their favorites dives, the Tower Bar in City Heights, celebrating the CD release of their self-titled album on Kemado Records.
Tuesday, Feb. 2:
- The Soft Pack, Beaters @ Tower Bar
- The Dave Rawlings Machine, Gillian Welch @ Belly Up
- AZP Presents - Dan Padilla, The Anchor, Sunnyside, Breaker Breaker One Niner @ Casbah
- Melly Frances and the Distilled Spirits, Megan Slankard, Greg Gibson @ Tin Can Ale House
- Manic Attracts, Bare Wires, Spirit Photography, Timecopz @ Soda Bar
- Songwriters Showcase Competition @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- Neon Cough, the Duke Wants Me Dead @ Radio Room
- Anthology House Band @ Anthology
- The Stilettos @ Henry's Pub
- Sticky Funk, guests @ Winston's
- Reason to Rebel, Musty Wig, Theory of Flight @ O'Connell's
- Doug Allen, Suzy Bongo @ the Kraken
- Louder With the Lights On @ RT's Longboard Grill
Rosemary Bystrak covers the San Diego music scene and events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her site San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.