Did the Mayans really predict that today is the end of the world or were they just preparing us for the flood of great music that the "end of the world" would spawn? I'd like to believe the latter because, though Christmas is just a few days away, San Diego's music scene has stepped up in a big way to offer brilliant shows all over town.
Whether you celebrate the apocalypse with the Burning of Rome at Soda Bar or with the Styletones at Bar Pink, you're sure to be too busy to notice when the world ends. For the all-ages set, Japandi rocks the Che Cafe, or adults looking to get all face-melty can head to Brick By Brick or Tin Can.
Bets are on the Belly Up for a solid lineup with three of our favorite locals, but I'm going to have to edge that show out with a huge CD release party at the Casbah for Low Volts. Perhaps the hardest working man in San Diego's music scene, whether performing with Blackout Party or designing graphics or airbrushing faces at the year's best parties, Tim Lowman is always about town with a smile. As Low Volts, the one-man band has performed endlessly all over town all year, but it is really time to see him shine tonight at the Casbah.
Friday, Dec. 21:
- Low Volts (CD Release), Grand Tarantula, Twowolves, Dirty Sirens @ Casbah
- Dead Feather Moon, Heavy Guilt, Trouble in the Wind @ Belly Up
- Japandi, Snuffaluffagus, Census, Crooks, Mothlight, Weatherbox, Nut/Crackers, Asha, Nature’s Kid, Darc Meriso @ Ché Café
- The Burning of Rome, Short Eyes, Rum For Your Life @ Soda Bar
- The Styletones @ Bar Pink
- End of the World Party with the Strikers, Pig Life, Moose Jaw, Coda Reactor, Youth Martyrs, Hell On Heels @ Brick By Brick
- Sleep Lady, Spirit Vine, Dignitary Loss @ Tin Can
- Riververb, Wastage, Psicomagia, California Bleeding @ The Tower Bar
- Natural Vibrations, Hi Roots @ Winston’s
- DJ Rob and crew @ Whistlestop
- The Ballad Mongers @ Tio Leo’s
- Guru-Junkies presents Zombie Apocalypse featuring Kruzic, jAy jOy, Buddah, Lestat, Midgett @ The Griffin
- Carnifex, Adestria, Oh, Guardian, Lion I Am, Mortify Your Enemies, Killing the Messenger, the Empire Within, Always the Understudy @ Soma
- DJ Man-Cat, Rock the Discotek, Chamberline, DJ Tommy Schulte, D James, Gabriel Valentin, the Digital Lizards, Club Kids, MC Shift @ Ruby Room
- Malaki @ Ramona Mainstage
- John Foltz @ Marble Room
- The World Go Boom Show, Aaron and Jane, Enchanted Realms @ Lestat’s
- Kinky with Mexican Dubweiser @ House of Blues
- Shake Before Us @ Elephant Pub & Grill
- Buddy Banter, Witness 9, Privet, St. Cloud Sleepers @ Eleven
- Hickies @ Dry Humps: A Totally '90s Party @ El Dorado
- Deck the Halls with Anthology House Band @ Anthology
- BoomSnap’s End of the World Party @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.