CHAPPO is a great Brooklyn band that blew away the audience at South By Southwest.
I'm not some seasoned veteran when it comes to South by Southwest, but I have gotten my feet wet a couple times. And I can testify that it is not just insane, but that when most people talk about acts that broke during the festival, chances are they weren't there to witness it. There is definitely a divide between insiders and outsiders and the insiders are the ones who break bands on radio and book tours and launch careers.
The great thing, however, is that there is a pretty good chance you will find a band or two who should be huge, who should be broken and who should be on the radio, and you get to enjoy being their fan as they devotedly hone their craft, record, tour and just do what they can to be heard.
Chappo was one of the best bands that I saw at SXSW in 2011 and we've been fortunate to have the Brooklyn band tour through a few times since then, and on Wednesday, the band returns to perform at the Soda Bar. Maren Parusel's latest project, Okapi Sun, as well as Social Club open up the show.
Wednesday, April 24:
- Casbah & Soda Bar present Chappo, Okapi Sun, Social Club @ Soda Bar
- The Cave Singers, Bleeding Rainbow @ Casbah
- Spectrum, TBA @ The Void
- Banding Together 3rd Annual Fundraiser with Lexington Field, Steph Johnson, Tolan Shaw @ Belly Up
- Cobraheart presents Ese & Zain, Pal&Drome @ The Griffin
- The Lumps, Sonic Angels, Shiva Trash @ Tin Can
- Transit, Seahaven, All Get Out, Young Statues, Scarlett Avenue @ Soma
- SOJA, Los Rakas @ House of Blues
- BLUSD presents Jammingout the House of Blues @ House of Blues Voodoo Stage
- A City on a Lake, Laura Meyer, Paul Freeman @ Lestat's
- Club Kingston with Beyond Rhythm, DJ Carlos Culture @ Winston's
- Funk & Oldies @ El Dorado
- SD Music TV Open Mic @ Brick By Brick
- Kice Simko and Friends @ Riviera Supper Club
- Ryan Roots Cocktale Club Anniversary Party @ Ruby Room
- LED presents araabMUZIK @ Voyeur
- Black Market lll @ ArtLab Studios
- Gilbert Castellanos Jazz Jam @ Seven Grand
- Annette Da Bomb & the Bomb Squad @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Dave Curtis Quartet @ Croce's
- H.A.M. w/ DJ L @ Bar Pink
- Future Wednesdays @ Kava Lounge
- Club M.A.W. @ Henry's Pub
- Lady Dottie & the Diamonds @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Firehouse Swing Night @ Queen Bee's
- Mystique Element of Soul @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
- Live Audition Night @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- Ron's Trio @ McP's Irish Pub
- Commune Wednesday @ Whistle Stop
- Open Mic @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.