What day is it? This whole summer thing has me confused. No "Game of Thrones," no school, no sunsets until way after dinner, and all this futbol has me a bit discombobulated. And while I probably won’t be draping myself in the Stars and Stripes or painting my face, I know that tomorrow at 1 p.m. PST I’ll be cheering our USMNT as they take on Belgium. And if that wasn’t enough, arguably our best player, Jozy Altidore, is back from a hamstring injury and ready to play. It’s a great way to kick off July, and not only signals the coming of Friday’s big party for the red, white, and blue, but also a string of awesome summer shows coming to San Diego – Jurassic 5 kicking off Del Mar’s concert series anyone? But before we divide and conquer the upcoming show schedule, let’s check out what the local music scene has for our perusal.
MonDazed and Confused
Music MonDaze is back with the scoop on all the local music news you can handle
Updated at 11:54 AM PDT on Monday, Jun 30, 2014
• Local rockers Speaker in Reverse want to bring the boom box back. Well, not exactly. But they are making their first live show ever a cassette release party. Now, if you got rid of your tape player during the Clinton presidency, no sweat. Each cassette comes with a download card. And to top it off, all proceeds will benefit the non-profit Compassion It. Mark your calendar, this all goes down at the Tin Can on Aug. 7. You can find more about Compassion It here and go here for event information.
• San Diego siren Lolly Brown and her band Hanging From the Rafters have just released a new track. It’s called “Over Me” and continues the spooky throwback sound of last month’s release, “Fell Out.” Let’s hope that this means a follow-up to the band’s "Box of Sounds" EP is on the way, but for now, check out the new track here.
• Congratulations to SoundDiego’s own Alfred Howard, who in addition to recently entertaining all of his Facebook friends with the trials and tribulations of riding a Greyhound bus into the heartland of America, also fully funded his IndieGoGo campaign for the publishing of his new book - "The Autobiography of No One." Nice work, Al.
• As we reported a few weeks back, local garage rock trio the NFormals recently changed bassists -- and apparently decided to put their name on the chopping block as well. Fans, be sure to re-buy buttons, stickers and shirts with their new moniker, Shady Francos.
• New records tomorrow from: Beverly, Brian Eno/Karl Hyde, Corrosion of Conformity, Old Crow Medicine Show, Sean Watkins and Seether.
Show of the week: Lee Fields & the Expressions at the Casbah tonight. You really should be there, but if the scheduling doesn’t work out, you can always catch my interview with Mr. Fields within the next couple weeks on SoundDiego TV.
Blogger Scott McDonald covers music in San Diego for a few different publications and is the editor of Eight24.com