Yikes. Hopefully the weather folk are right and it’s cooling off this week. There’s really no use in complaining about the gorgeous days we’ve had lately. I’m just spoiled and want it 72 all day every day. But while I’m waiting for Mother Nature to respond to my request, here are a few bits of musical news that you may be interested in.
• Local hard rockers Heavy Glow have a new album coming out on June 3. It’s called Pearls & Swine and Everything Fine and was produced by Michael Patterson (Nine Inch Nails, Black Rebel Motorcycle lub, Beck). Catch them at the Soda Bar for the CD release party on June 4 with Schitzophonics, the Grim Imperials and Neighbors to the North.
• Bass! How low can you go? The nformals (led by Joshua Kmak, bassist for the New Kinetics) have a new bass player – Jerrica Ojeda. She recently made her debut with the alt-rock band at the Bujwah Store on April 7. The nformals now have all of their basses covered.
• What’s that you say? You can’t get enough Jason Mraz? Well, you’re in luck. The Today Show recently announced its 2014 Summer Concert Series and the local pop crooner is part of it. Mraz will play Rockefeller Plaza on July 18 and joins a long list of scheduled performers that includes Mariah Carey, Pharrell Williams, Fall Out Boy, Usher, Maroon 5, Aloe Blacc and more.
• If you missed one-time Escondido rockers Halcyonaire at Sycamore Den last night, check out their SoundCloud page here and don’t let it happen next time.
• The lovely and talented Miss Erika Davies is back on Kickstarter. This time, she’s collecting dough for her fourth studio album, In Love With Someone. Davies has enlisted Aaron Mahn, Jeremy Eikam, and Chris Carroll to help her flesh out the sounds of the new songs and a few standards. Rumor has it that Davies has been in contact with otherworldly beings to help her with this campaign. Check out her video here and decide for yourself.
• New albums this week from: Lilly Allen, Atmosphere, Thomas Dybdahl, Brian Eno/Karl Hyde, Liam Finn, Curtis Harding, Ben Harper, the Horrors, Lykke Li, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, Nine Black Alps, Papercuts, Paws, Santana, Tech N9ne, and tUnE-yArDs.
Show of the week: Loop at Soda Bar on Tuesday night. Just do it. It’s their first U.S. tour in 24 years.