Humphreys Concerts By the Bay
Humphreys' 1,400 seat outdoor theater, located right on the San Diego Bay, has presented a number of entertainment and other attractions since 1982.
With summer fast approaching, it's once again time for Humphreys By the Bay to unveil its lineup.
The iconic bayside venue -- which celebrated its 30th anniversary last year -- announced the list of shows on its web site on Friday.
The season kicks off with none other than Elvis Costello and his band the Imposters on April 16. The legendary musician behind classic albums like My Aim Is True and Armed Forces was ranked No. 80 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest musicians of all time.
Plenty of other big names have been announced for this summer as well, and the month of May alone includes shows by James Morrison, Devo and Rufus Wainwright.
Later months are no slouches, either, with vaguely familiar artists like Lyle Lovett, Sheryl Crow and some guy named Ringo Starr all scheduled to make appearances at Humphreys.
Other standout shows include the rose-kissing Seal on Aug. 6, legendary comedian Steve Martin showing off his banjo plucking skills on Aug. 23 and a solo acoustic set from soul-saving San Diegan Jewel on Sept. 7.
Tickets for all shows can be purchased via Ticketmaster or by phone at 800-745-3000. Here's the full lineup:
- April 16: Elvis Costello & The Imposters, $80
- April 17: Madness, $48
- April 22: Craig Ferguson, $55
- May 5: James Morrison, $28 ($30 day of show)
- May 12: Devo, $60 ($125 for meet and greet)
- May 13: Rufus Wainwright, $40
- May 27: Alison Krauss & Union Station, $85
- June 1: Chris Botti, $60
- June 15: Indigo Girls, $45
- June 20: k.d. lang, $63
- June 24: The Queen Extravaganza, $40
- June 25: The Dukes of September Rhythm Review featuring Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald & Donald Fagen, $121
- July 2: Lyle Lovett, $65
- July 11: Happy Together Tour 2012: The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie, $45
- July 13: Lisa Lampanelli, $60
- July 20: Ringo Starr & his All Starr Band, $138
- July 22: An Evening with Yanni Under The Stars, $103
- July 26-27: Sheryl Crow, $85
- July 29: Earth, Wind & Fire – Guiding Lights Tour 2012, $96
- August 1: Los Lonely Boys, $45
- August 2: Chris Isaak, $85
- August 6: Seal with special guest Macy Gray, $93
- August 9: Buddy Guy/Jonny Lang, $68
- August 10: Gipsy Kings, $74
- August 12: America, $52
- August 14: Colbie Caillat/Gavin DeGraw, $55
- August 16: Joan Rivers, $50
- August 17: The Fab Four, $43
- August 18: Yes, $70
- August 21: Esperanza Spalding, $50
- August 23: Steve Martin, $80
- August 24: Air Supply, $55
- September 6: Pink Martini, $60
- September 7: Jewel, $60
- September 10: Olivia Newton-John, $58
- September 11: Chicago, $96
- September 13: Doobie Brothers, $70
- September 15: Tower of Power/Average White Band, $50
- September 18: Roger Hodgson: The Legendary Voice of Supertramp, $60
- September 23: Tony Bennett, $125
- September 25: Bonnie Raitt, $90.50
- September 28: Bill Maher, $79
- September 29: Crosby, Stills & Nash, $107
- October 5: Basia, $45
Chris Maroulakos is a writer and managing editor for the San Diego music blog Owl and Bear.